Tuesday, November 17, 2009






Today I made wild grape jelly. My grandchildren and their PaPa picked the grapes for me, but I just didn't have time to make the jelly right then. I froze the grapes to save for when I had more time. I use the same recipe for Wild Grapes as I do for elderberry, with the exception of reducing the lemon juice to 3 Tablespoons. You could even prob. reduce it to 2 T. Wild Grape Jelly is a tart jelly.....but very good !






I've also made homemade loaf bread today. It turned out just pretty good !









Wheat Potato Bread

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour ( I used some that had been fresh ground on a home mill grinder)
3 cups all purpose flour, approx.( more if needed to handle)

1 egg

1 cup cooked mashed potatoes
2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoon shortening
6 Tablespoon sugar
1 pkg. yeast
1 cup milk
1 cup water

Scald 1 cup milk, pour into large mixing bowl. Pour in 1 cup water. Check temp. when it is lukewarm , not too hot, sprinkle package yeast and let set a little while. Add salt, shortening, sugar, and 1 egg. Beat on low speed with mixture. Add potatoes. Add flour 1 cup at a time with mixer still going. Turn off mixer and if you need to add any more flour to work with dough, stir in with spoon at this time. Turn out on floured surface, knead. Grease large bowl to place dough in. Rub a little oil on top of dough . Cover with dishtowel and leave until double in size. Pour out onto floured surface again. Knead. Divide in two loafs, Place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until about double in size. Cook at 350 until brown as you like. Butter top if desired.






No comments:

Post a Comment